Thursday, October 2, 2014

Introducing D.G. Wallace and Haven of Horror!


It's that time of year again horror fiends! It's October and Halloween is upon us! All month long I'll be sharing all sorts of tricks and treats with you, from horror authors to horror movies.

Today, I'm introducing you to D.G. Wallace, author of Haven of Horror! Haven of Horror is a flash fiction Tumblr page that's full of bite-sized tales of madness and terror.

1. Tell us a little about yourself; what kind of horror stories to you write, and how long have you been writing them?


I’m D.G. Wallace and I’m an author. I write about a variety of topics but I would consider horror my specialty.


I connect with the horror genre because I genuinely enjoy books and movies that make me feel afraid. Even though there is no real danger, being scared is like a reminder that you are alive. I like trying to give others the same feeling.


I feel like most people who write can trace their love of reading and storytelling back to a very young age. I think it’s safe to say I’ve been writing what I’d consider serious stories and articles starting in my early teens. I’m 24 now.



2. Who is your favorite horror author?


So, so many. My all-time favorite is Poe. I’ll be re-reading stories like "The Black Cat," "The Masque of the Red Death," and "The Cask of Amontillado" forever. Poe is a true genius.



3. Why do you write flash fiction?


I enjoy the challenge of telling a story that moves the reader in a short format. Many times flash fiction, especially within the horror genre, relies on the reader to fill in the details and use their imagination to figure out what’s really going on. For me, the most frightening horror stories are the ones that rely less on gore and more on suspense and mystery. Flash fiction is a great platform to riff on fears of the unknown.



4. What got you into writing flash fiction?


A book called Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and reddit.com/r/shortscarystories.




5. What aspects to you enjoy most about the flash fiction format?


I love giving readers a feeling of “Wait, what the hell just happened? I have to read that again!”


Also, the internet seems to be the perfect platform for this type of storytelling. Self-publishing on my blog helps build my audience and people can become familiar with my work very quickly. Flash fiction online allows readers to quickly comment on what they think will happen next, or what their interpretation of the story is. It’s great to see what their imagination came up with.



6. Where can readers find your work?


Havenofhorror.tumblr.com. You can also follow me on twitter @HavenofHorror for updates.



7. Have you written any novellas or books? If not, will you be planning on compiling your flash fiction into an eBook for people to read?

I’m working on a few longer form stories that I hope to one day publish. My plan with flash fiction for now is to keep writing and to eventually compile them into a traditionally published book or eBook.



8. What is your favorite horror movie?


Like with horror authors, there is a long list of filmmakers that have influenced my writing. But, I can safely say that "Alien" is my personal favorite. Ridley Scott perfectly delivers that sense of suspense and dread that directors like Hitchcock previously laid the foundation for. And it’s in space!




9. Does anything inspire you to write horror? Things like personal experience, stories ripped from newspaper headlines, etc.



I draw from a bunch of sources for my stories. Often times I’ll see a place or an object that could be the focus of a story, or I’ll be present in a situation and think, “Would this be terrifying with the right set-up?” Also nightmares and dreams when I can remember them.




10. Do you have any advice for people who are interested in writing flash fiction?


Read as much of it as you can to become familiar with the method of storytelling. It may seem that because of the length, anything can make a good story. Like any other method of storytelling, flash fiction takes a clear focus, attention to detail, and editing. Last but not least, never stop writing.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment