Saturday, September 20, 2014

Max Booth III Interview: Be Careful, He's made Stephen King Fans Rabid!


Max Booth III is the author of Toxicity and The Mind is a Razorblade. He’s the Editor-in-Chief of Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing and an ongoing columnist at Litreactor.com. He works as a hotel night auditor in a small town outside San Antonio, TX. Follow him on Twitter @GiveMeYourTeeth and visit him at www.talesfromthebooth.com.


Max not only is a man of macabre, he also has a quirky sense of humor. His latest piece on LitReactor, "Every Stephen King Novel Summarized in 140 Characters or Less", has gained the ire of rabid Stephen King fans, and the laughter of anyone who understands that it was actually a piece of satire. You know, humor? That thing that makes you laugh?

Anyways, I thought that it was hilarious. I guess some people don't understand sarcasm these days. You can read the article for yourself here: http://litreactor.com/columns/every-stephen-king-novel-summarized-in-140-characters-or-less

And yes, the Dean Koontz novels are listed on purpose. It's funny! Sheesh.


Here's the interview questions:

1. Tell us a little about yourself: How long have you been writing,what do you think are the best works you've had published to date, and why you enjoy writing horror?


MB: I've been writing since I was seven. Or maybe younger. Maybe older. My memory is pretty awful. Maybe I only started last month.

The best thing I've ever written? It hasn't been written yet. The best thing I will ever write is always the thing I am currently working on. However, I'm pretty fond of my debut novel, Toxicity, and, of course, The Mind is a Razorblade. Short story wise, though, I'd go with a story called "Video Nasties", which was published in Jamais Vu #1. It's the scariest and most disturbing thing I've ever written.

I enjoy horror because it is what I grew up reading and watching. Horror is not safe. Anything can happen. It's like a tornado to the imagination.


2. What is the latest book you've had published? Can you give us a plot synopsis or a brief overview of it? (can you give a release date, and where readers can find "The Mind is a Razorblade" to buy it?)



MB: The Mind is a Razorblade was released September 18, 2014 by Kraken Press. It's a horror neo-noir novel about a man born into death. Drowning, he wakes beside two corpses. His memory has been wiped clean. He doesn’t know his name, what he’s doing here, who these people are, or even why one of them is a cop. Nor can he explain his strange telekinetic abilities. Questions plague his mind like hellfire, questions that begin a journey leading into the rot of downtown America, a journey that will not end until every one of his questions have been answered, despite who has to die in the process. Even if those who have all the answers aren’t human.

link - http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Razorblade-Max-Booth-III-ebook/dp/B00N4CH76Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409333230&sr=8-1&keywords=the+mind+is+a+razorblade


3. What do you want people to know about "The Mind is a Razorblade?" Is there something really unique happening to the main character? What horrible situation does he find himself in, and how hard does he have to fight to survive it?



MB: The major theme throughout Razorblade is our pasts. Throughout the novel, the main character discovers some pretty awful things he's done, and he's left with the choice of either succumbing to his past misdeeds, or choosing a new path, a better path. I think that's something many people can relate to: if we fight hard enough, we can all change. We don't have to be the bad guys.



4. Do you recall what sparked the idea for "The Mind is a Razorblade?" I know that some authors are inspired by art or true life events and use them as a sounding board to create their stories.


MB: Honestly, I have no idea. Most ideas spring from a single thought, usually not inspired by anything in particular. I could be walking down the block and suddenly think "brainspiders! yes!" and by the time I get back home, I have a whole novel.



5. When you sit down to write, do you have any habits (some people call them "rituals") that you do to get yourself in the correct mind-space to create? (For instance, listening to music, wearing a Captain's hat using an old typewriter, handwriting with your favorite pen, etc.)


MB: I do like to listen to music when I write, but it isn't absolutely necessary. I have so many different projects and jobs going at once, I simply don't have the time to have rituals. The writing is going to get done regardless of what I'm wearing or where I'm sitting/standing.



6. What is the latest horror book you read that you really enjoyed that you'd recommend to people? Why did you enjoy it?


MB: I am currently reading The Summer Job by Adam Cesare and enjoying it quite a bit. I am a big fan of Satanic cult horror from the 80s, and The Summer Job is basically a homage to those kind of movies. It's really well done.



7. When you write, is your main goal to get something down to sell, or is it to entertain? How do you think about the pieces you write in terms of treating them like a business or publisher would? Do you allow yourself to think about the publication of a work before it's complete, or do you think that doing so is counterproductive during the creation or writing phase?


MB: Lately, any writing I've done has started with a specific market in mind, whether it's by invitation or if the publication just sounds interesting. I think you should write not just for yourself, but for one other person, as well.



8. Where do you sit on the eBook vs. traditional publisher debate? It's a hot topic right now, and there appears to be good and bad things about going either route with a book.


MB: Some self published books are shit and some traditionally published books are shit. Sometimes they are not. We're all in the same sinking boat here.


9. Do you have any advice for authors just starting out and trying to get published?


MB: Your work will only be treated as seriously as you treat it. Avoid for-the-love markets and act like you're worth a damn.


10. Has using social media to promote your book increased your sales?


MB: Well, yes.


11. Where can fans find you on the Internet?


MB: My webpage is www.TalesFromTheBooth.com and I'm on Twitter @GiveMeYourTeeth. I'm also on Facebook...somewhere.


12. Do you have anything else that you'd like readers to know, or any parting words for us?


MB: O'Doyle rules!


Thanks Max, for the awesome interview! Good luck dealing with all those crazed King fans that are now foaming at the mouth and demanding that your blood be released onto the foul earth! 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment