Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Cassie's Year 2013 in Review




I don't know about  you, but 2013 has been one heck of a ride for me.

I've accomplished two life-long goals, gotten a really good writing gig, and made some incredible friends.

Here are the highlights of the best of 2013 for me!

Cut Up Movie Night


Back in February, on a fated Monday night, I came across a Tweet by Grey the Dark Hours about a free showing of "Dead Alive" on thecutup.net. Since I like that movie and it had been such a long time since I had watched it, I decided to head on over to the site to watch the live feed of two dudes making hilarious comments during the film (also known as "riffing" to MS3TK fans).  Over the course of the night, I realized that they would interact with people commenting in the chat box they had up on screen, and an interesting relationship was born.



I recall having a very interesting conversation about what attracts people to horror films, and how it allows us to vicariously feel fear without having to put ourselves into actual physical danger. It is a cathartic experience, and a healthy one at that.

Once the night was over, I had had so much fun, I decided to come their movie nights whenever possible.
Eventually I learned that both Grey and Cutter live in the Detroit Metro area, and we got together with a group of people to go see "Evil Dead" in April. It was a great movie, and we had a wonderful time actually being able to chat in person.

While Grey has since moved on to do podcasts with the Killer Reviews crowd, Cutter has remained, and our motley crew of regulars, which he fondly calls his bunk mates (or as Richard Rants calls us, the "bunksters") has become an interesting ensemble of his crew.

We've done some Google+ Hangouts, which were tons of fun even if at times they couldn't hear me, and overall, Cut Up Movie Night has remained a strong presence in  my life and I consider the bunksters, and Cutter, to be good friends of mine.

Here's a shout out to Cutter, Weird Musician, Richard Rants, and Damian (you limey rascal). Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday!  Follow us on Twitter with the #bunksters hashtag!

Google+, Horror Fans, and my "Clive Barker's Hellraiser" Google+ Community

Back in March, Google made me join Google+ in order to keep my blog on the first page(s) of their search engine results. At first I was like, man, that effin' sucks, but soon after, I discovered a very active horror community, and made some really cool friends.

After posting for a while in the Horror Movies Google+ Community, +J. Kevin Saxon suggested that I started my own "Hellraiser" community, because I'm such a huge fan and kept posting awesome "Hellraiser" pictures.

I asked him if he'd join if I did, and he said hell yes, so I did, and it's done pretty well so far. I have 177 members after less than a year of existence on the Googleverse.


If you are already on Google+, feel free to join my community.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107102373438141651652
If you aren't, I suggest you make your own Google+ page and add me as a friend or follow me in one of your circles (it works like following on Twitter or Friending on Facebook). You'll meet a lot of really nice, and funny, people there. It's waaaay better than the Facebook, trust me.


Here's a shout out to the coolest horror cats I met on Google+!

+J. Kevin Saxon , +Ernie Fink , +Cindee Madding+dory cv , +Mark Thorpe , +Mike G , +Anthony Zugaj , +Sirena Roman , +Jeremy DeCoste , +Chad Kecy , +Sharon Leggett , +Michael Carter , +Gio Ras , +Alicja Anna , +Jeff Andresen+BILL RIZER , +Ian Allison , +James Olchak , +Kelly Rock , +Chuck Wade , +Christopher Jones , +Jennifer Boyd , +Tatu Mikkonen 


Meeting Doug Bradley (Pinhead)
This year, I decided for my birthday that I'd treat myself and go to a local horror convention called Motor City Nightmares with my best friend Razor. At the time, I didn't realize that one of my favorite horror actors of all times was going to be there signing autographs, but once I saw that they had booked Doug Bradley, I was totally geeked out. I had to really convince Razor to come with me, but once he got there, he had a great time with me, probably because I was so excited I was like a little kid in a candy shop.


Razor is the one that took this awesome picture of me with Doug Bradley.


Next year, I'm hiring my photographer friend to come with me to take pictures of me meeting all of the horror actors at the convention!

Watching Bad Movies with the Killer Reviews Crowd
In addition to making the Cutup Movie night a weekly thing for me, I also started attending the Friday Night bad movie-a-thons on Killer Reviews.

Killer Reviews doesn't have a live feed of it's main host, Android Virus, but it does have a very lively chat bar. They show four movies in one night, and you can stay for as long as you like and chat with some really interesting, and often hilariously bizarre, people.


I've made some really good, and very cool friends there as well. Here's a shot out to Android Virus, Aaron Bevins (iseedeadpeople), Auntie Em (auntieskip), Flyye, Killer Seductress, Sno Crash, FUBU, Brian Stoneking aka Cpt. Caveman (flesheateralive), Piqasag, Grlhorrorfan, Steve Magoo, Dustin Baker, Uncle Frank, and Kelsea Sloper Van Cadenburg! You're all crazy, but that's OK, because I am too!

Have a Happy New Year guys!

Getting Married on Halloween!




When asked what I wanted for my birthday, I told my significant other, Shane Strange, that I wanted an engagement ring. True story. But before you start freaking out, we've been dating each other since 1999. Yeah, that's right, we had been together for 14 years. Deal with it. We decided that we've been together long enough, and that if we weren't going to get married now, we were never going to do it, so we did.

So, I got an engagement ring for my birthday, and we went out to dinner with our closests friends to the best Cuban Tapas joint in Detroit; Vincente's. There he proposed to me, and even though I knew he was going to do it, I still cried because he said some really sweet things to me. It was quite a moment.

We set the marriage date for October 31, 2013, and the crazy planning began. Meaning, I did all the planning, and it drove me crazy (heh).

Here's a just few pictures from my wedding day. 


Here I am doing final touches on my makeup while my best man, and best friend, Razor, watches. He did a fantastic job helping out with the decorations of the reception hall. I couldn't have done it without him!




Here I am looking fantastic in my wedding dress! 



Here's Razor- who stood up as my best man at my wedding- doing his best "How you doin'" look. I think he carries it, and my bouquet, quite well!



Here we are, the happy couple!



Here I am with the mister (aka Shane Strange), all tuckered out from a very long night. He's the love of my life, and I can't imagine what it would be like without his love and support.



So for those of you wondering why the posts were scarce towards the end of the year, it was because I was busy planning my wedding and honeymoon.

Rest assured, the movie, video game, and book reviews will resume in the coming months!

I hope you all have a happy and safe new year!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment