Thursday, March 28, 2013

No Zombies Appear in the Official 'World War Z' Trailer



The "World War Z" official trailer hit the Internet this week and I have to say, I'm not really impressed by it.

The movie looks like a generic action film, complete with helicopter and airplane crash sequences. But what is more telling about the film is not what is in the trailer, but what is not, and I could not help but notice that not a single zombie appears in the trailer. Not one.



The "World War Z " trailer, a movie about the zombie apocalypse, has no close ups of zombies, just the horrible far-away shots of a literal sea of zombies washing up against a wall and forming a pyramid with their bodies.



Why?

Why aren't there any shots of the zombies attacking people? Heck, even "Warm Bodies," the zombie romance comedy, or rom-com, had shots of zombie attacks. So why not WWZ?

It makes me think the worst for "World War Z." Why not show a zombie, it's what people are looking for, it's a zombie movie for crying out loud!

But don't take my word for it, you can watch it for yourself below.


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I havent' read the book. As much as I love zombie movies I cant' get into most zombie books. I guess I find it harder to build suspense with zombies in a book. Plus the format of the story just seemed strange to me. Maybe I should check it out. I dunno. But yeah, I noticed that with the movie too. Maybe they are gonna use "zombie' as some kind of metaphor lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim, thanks for the comments! (I think you just gave me an idea for a blog post!)

    The book "World War Z" is very different from the movie. It is formatted as a series of vignettes where a reporter (that morphed into Brad Pitt's character who is a UN worker) goes around the world interviewing people who survived the zombie plague. It's a decent read, but a few of the characters are a bit ridiculous for my taste, such as the blind black samurai who wields a katana and kicks zombie butt.

    Needless to say, there is a lot of really bad zombie fiction out there in the world. It seems to be the horror subject of the decade, much like how vampires dominated the 1990s.

    If you want to read a good zombie book, here's two to start with:

    "Dying to Live" by Kim Paffenroth
    "Rot & Ruin" by Jonathan Maberry

    Paffenroth is a religion professor at Iona College, and is very well versed in Christian Philosophy. All of this comes out in his writing, and I found it to be really well done.

    For instance, one of his characters is a zombie Moses, but unlike George Romero's version of such a character from his movie "Land of the Dead," the character becomes a very important figure that helps rescue the main characters at the end of the book.

    "Dying to Live" is my favorite zombie book of all time, and it is by far the best zombie book I have ever read.

    "Rot & Ruin" is a Young Adult book that has very well rounded characters and tackles the debate of whether zombies should be treated with dignity because they were once human, or destroyed because they are terrible monsters. I hate Young Adult fiction, so you know if I'm recommending it, it has to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the segmented storytelling of World War Z (the book). I have *really* low expectations for the movie. I recently read The Rising & City of the Dead by Brian Keene (a series). Not your typical zombie novels, but they definitely had their moments. I'll have to check out Dying to Live and Rot & Ruin.

    ReplyDelete